The safety of our guests and colleagues is our key priority. We have always taken hygiene and cleanliness very seriously, in all departments. We have taken additional steps to follow the latest sanitary recommendations, implemented new staff training and cleaning protocols to increase the frequency of cleaning and disinfecting our hotels.
Given the health and safety risks posed by COVID-19, we ask all guests to review their local authorities’ travel guidance.
Food and Beverage
Studios & Penthouses
Dear Hotel Alex Guest,
First of all, we are pleased to inform you that the restaurants at the Hotel Alex are open again. Slowly and with great care, everyday life is returning, and with it we are able to revive our role as hosts. This is done in absolute accordance with official measures – the health of guests and employees is our most important requirement.
The health and safety measures taken affect every department of our hotel. Please find below an overview of the safety measures in the different departments of the Hotel Alex:
COVID-19 HOTEL ALEX PROTECTION CONCEPT
The protection concept applies to the Widder Hotel, Storchen Zürich and Hotel Alex operations. The measures listed below must be observed by all establishments and employees. The cantonal authorities carry out strict controls. Operation-specific measures, procedures and processes are defined and implemented for the individual hotels and restaurants. Legal hygiene and protection guidelines already in force have to be complied with (e.g. in the food sector and for the general health protection of employees). In addition, all the provisions of Regulation 2 on measures to combat coronavirus (COVID-19) apply. This protection concept is valid until revoked or until a new version is published. In case of doubt, the German version of the official protection concept for the hospitality industry approved by the Federal Office of Public Health (BAG) applies (Version 6: 22 June 2020).
In the following, guest groups are those guests who arrived together or for whom a reservation was made together before the visit or on site. A guest group consists of 1 to 1000 persons. The persons of a guest group are known to each other.
- The generally applicable protective measures are consistently and exemplarily implemented by all employees, including in their private lives.
- All employees come to work with impeccable personal hygiene and wash their hands regularly. Avoid touching objects and surfaces if possible.
- The employee is obliged to report to the superior if he/she belongs to the risk group or feels ill.
- The body temperature of the employees is measured randomly by the heads of department via General Manager office (Widder Hotel, Susanne Strömvall; Storchen Zürich, Raphael Pedroncelli; Hotel Alex, Max Haus). A measuring station with instruction manual is installed. The measured temperatures are entered in the list. If the temperature is too high, the supervisor is informed. The person concerned has to be sent home.
- Employees with signs of illness stay at home in any case.
- Handwashing and disinfection before starting work and continuously during opening hours, also after the following work: setting the table, folding napkins, polishing cutlery
- Leave the room to sneeze or cough, then wash and disinfect your hands.
- There is no physical contact whatsoever (shaking hands etc.)
- Employees and other persons keep a distance of 1.5 meters between each other. For work at an unavoidable distance of less than 1.5 meters, employees should be exposed as minimally as possible by shortening the duration of contact and/or implementing appropriate protective measures.
- Protective masks are only used in areas where the minimum distances or a short contact duration cannot be maintained. In detail this concerns workstations in the kitchen which are visible to the guest. (Widder Hotel; Production kitchen AuGust, Production kitchen Widder Restaurant; Storchen; Production kitchen Barchetta; Production kitchen La Rôtisserie; Hotel Alex; Production kitchen Pop Up by Widder)
- The used masks and gloves are disposed of in a separate, specially marked waste bag, separate from normal waste.
- The employee training courses are supervised and controlled by the respective security officer of the hotels. The information and training certificates of each individual employee are obtained via Human Ressources.
- Disinfection station at the entrance: Stations for hand disinfection are available at the restaurant / hotel entrance. This station must be checked and refilled regularly.
- Signs with information on guest hygiene in front of and inside the restaurant are clearly displayed.
- Guests will be informed of the protective measures when entering the hotel or restaurant. Operation-specific procedures are defined and implemented in the individual restaurants.
- In principle, no wardrobes are accepted from guests unless the regulations can be complied with. (e.g. La Rôtisserie Storchen)
Work at an unavoidable distance of 1.5 meters
- 2 Persons who work next to each other for a longer period of time keep a distance of 1.5 metres to each other, turn their backs and work offset, or wear hygiene masks or protective visors.
- If this minimum distance cannot be guaranteed, the employee protects himself or herself by minimising exposure during work by reducing the duration of contact and/or implementing appropriate protective measures.
- Protective masks and gloves are available on request for each employee. These have to be changed at least every 2 hours, after the change follows thorough hand washing.
Food and Beverage
Keeping groups of guests apart / keeping distance
- The head of department or deputy controls the minimum distance of 1.5 meters between the guests
- A distance of 1.5 metres must be maintained between the groups of guests to the front and side “shoulder-to-shoulder” and to the rear “back-to-back” a 1.5-metre distance from table edge to table edge.
- A maximum of 100 people may stay indoors at any one time, unless the distance rules can be observed. If the location has an outdoor area, a maximum of 300 people may stay in the same location at the same time.
- The personal data of at least one person per group of guests or table must be recorded and kept for 14 days. Afterwards the data will be completely destroyed.
- The groups of guests may not be mixed, i.e. they arrive at the same time or are known to each other.
- Establishments with bar seating must observe the rules on distance.
- In order to protect the service staff behind the bar, special measures are required for longer periods of contact if the minimum distance of 1.5 metres to the guests is not observed.
- Waiting guests keep a distance of 1.5 meters, floor markings in the waiting area are mandatory.
- Guests’ objects will not be touched (coats, umbrellas etc.)
- Table settings are changed after each guest
- For cleaning work, single-use wipes are preferably used. If textile wipes are in use, they must be changed regularly, but at least twice a day (at shift change).
- The following items are cleaned and disinfected after each guest contact:
– Table surface, armrest, card terminal, menu cards, trays, menus (only brought on request)
- Surfaces and objects (e.g. work surfaces, keyboards, cash registers, telephones, clothes hangers) are regularly cleaned with a professional cleaning or disinfecting solution, especially when used in common.
- Door handles, lift buttons, stair railings, coffee machines, used kitchen appliances and other working materials used by several people are regularly cleaned or disinfected professionally – depending on use, but at least once a day.
- Regular airing (at least 4 times a day)
- Guest linen, tablecloth or similar is replaced after each contact with guests
- For each group of guests or table, at least one person’s personal data must be recorded and stored for 14 days. Afterwards the data will be completely destroyed. By means of specially made contact cards, first name, surname, telephone number, date, time and table number recorded. The data will then be handed in at the reception desk. The data is then archived.
- In discos, dance clubs and nightclubs, personal data must be recorded in any case.
- For events of all kinds, the establishment does not have to record contact details if the organiser of the event assures that a guest list has been recorded. The organiser does not have to hand over the guest list to the operator. The establishment records the organiser’s contact details.
- The company provides a form for entering contact details.
- The company will use the data exclusively for the stated purpose.
- The company keeps the data for 14 days and destroys them completely after that.
- The cantonal medical service may request the contact details if it deems it necessary.
- The company must be able to provide information about the last 14 days about which desks an employee has served.
- Contactless payment is preferred
- The contact person for occupational safety (safety officer of the company) checks the implementation of the measures
- “The protection concept for the hospitality industry under Covid-19” is the basis for this internal form and is available at all times in the individual outlets.
Studios & Penthouses General regulations
- Wash / disinfect hands regularly
- Hand disinfection stand in lobby
- Putting away magazines / flyers in public places
- Wear masks if distance regulation cannot be observed
Masks / gloves enclosed:
- Cleaning restant-rooms
- Envelope service
- Cleaning in public spaces
- Disinfection of:
– Telephone receiver
– Remote control
– Ventilation control
– Door handles
- Writing material only on request
- Remove magazines / print media from room
- Compliance with distance control
- Flowers as usual
- Placement in hotel rooms with details of where all protective measures taken are listed, signature of the floor governor
All other standards regarding cleaning and disinfection are already automatically met by the applicable standards (ISO).
Front Office / Concierge
- floor markings in the lobby area to maintain a distance of at least 1.5m
- Limitation of the number of persons in the lobby by signposting for guests
- Masks and plastic gloves are available at any time
- Plexiglass at the front office / concierge desk
- Rooming only on request and with face mask, i.p. separate Lift / stairs / keep distance
- Regular disinfection of:
– Telephone receiver, mouse
– Credit card terminals
– Pens (presentation of baskets / tray with disinfected pens for guests)
- Valet Parking with masks and plastic gloves
- Room key handover: disinfection in front of the guest’s eyes and handover on a silver tray
- Info to guest, that please keep your keys with you
- Limousine transfer: Chauffeurs gloves and masks
- Information in the public space regarding distance control:
– in front of toilets
– For entrances / at the front office
- Checklists with the protective measures to be observed in each shift
Preventing infections: Washing your hands properly protects!
To remove pathogens, wash your hands thoroughly. This is done in five steps:
- WETTING: Hold your hands under running water.
- soaping all around: lather hands from all sides.
- LEAVE TIME: Soaping thoroughly takes 20 to 30 seconds.
- rinse thoroughly: Wash hands under running water.
- DRY CAREFULLY: Dry hands with a clean cloth.